Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Beauty's Embrace | Digital Photo Manipulation in Photoshop CS6

This image started from a stock image (below) from last month's issue of Advanced Photoshop. I thought it was kinda cool and thought it would make a great base for experimenting in Photoshop CS6.

STEP 1: Using the Magic Wand tool I quickly blocked out  a layer mask. After, I tweaked it with "Refine Edge" and a small round brush (on the mask layer).


STEP 2: Another stock image (same source) of a stormy sky was placed in another layer beneath the model.

STEP 3: A really great resource for finding brushes and other resources for Photoshop is a site called Brusheezy. Using some brushes I found there, I created another layer between my model and sky and laid in some brushwork in white drooping the opacity to 80%.


STEP 4: Creating another layer above the model, I added a few more brush strokes, leaving these at 100% opacity.

STEP 5: I duplicated the sky layer and moved it to the top at this point. Using Hue/Saturation, I adjust the color. After creating an accompanying mask, I used the Gradient tool (Black to Transparent) to fade the new sky layer.


STEP 6: Next I set the blending mode (new sky layer) to "Soft Light" at 100% opacity. Steps 5 and 6 combine for a nice subtle cohesion in color.

STEP 7: Using Nik Software's Color Efex Pro, I use "Film Efex: Modern" to achieve this grain effect which was a bit too strong.

STEP 8: When using Color Efex Pro, the filter effects are applied to a new layer combining all layers you have turned on. So leaving my working layers on. I set the new filtered layer to 40% opacity to achieve the final look I was after.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial. It was fun to create. Let me know what you think of the final image. I think the hardest part is sometimes knowing when to stop :)


Adobe Photoshop




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magnificent goods from you, man. I've be mindful your stuff prior to and you're simply too fantastic.
I really like what you've acquired right here, really like what you're stating and the way in
which you say it. You make it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it sensible.
I can't wait to learn much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

Check out my blog post - seo białystok

Jonathan said...

Thank you very much, my friend, great to hear from you. Another post is in the works (actually a couple) Hope to have a new one very soon.

Thanks again :)

MD Yusuf said...

Thanks for this. Really valuable resource for me

Renata and Jonathan said...

Hi Yusuf, my pleasure, glad you enjoyed it.

MD Yusuf said...

Thank you renata

Clipping Solutions said...

I see your design step by step. I honorable to really awesome. Thanks you so much for your tutorial..

Scott said...

Photo manipulation is always new creativity. I see your all tutorial..Nice one thanks for Share.

Nasrin Akter said...

Excellent post! All steps are so clear and helpful thanks for share this valuable post.

james said...

Very nice Photoshop skills presentation. Best part in here every single images are shown here which made this post so understandable. Especially for beginner this post will be so useful. Need more like this, actually i like this post because of here practical things included than descriptive text material.

Farhan Tanvir said...

Thanks for sharing this post. Your tutorial presentation step by step is very nice. Really good design.

Cloud Clipping Path said...

What an amazing photo manipulation technique. Thank you for sharing for your creativity.

Susan Smitha said...

Great tutorial and very easy to follow. I really like how you achieved the end result without a lot of effort. Thanks for sharing

monica allen said...

The post is very clear and focuses on the main points.This will help a lot of talent hunters in the world.

Post a Comment